You are here
Rensselaer Union Signage Policy
This document establishes a standardized policy governing the posting of signs and advertising materials within Rensselaer Union facilities. This policy supplements the Institute Sign Policy, as described in the Rensselaer Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities and are superseded by rules established by the Rensselaer Union Student Senate to govern student elections.
Approved Posting Areas
1. General Posting Areas
- Certain areas in Rensselaer Union facilities are established for general posting purposes. Such areas are indicated by an official Rensselaer Union label marking them for General Posting.
- All clubs and organizations recognized by or affiliated with the Rensselaer Union may post in the General Posting areas. Organizations with provisional status, granted in accordance with the Rensselaer Union Club Affiliation & Recognition Policy, may post in the General Posting Areas subject to any limitations set by that policy.
2. Dedicated Spaces
- Certain areas in Rensselaer Union facilities may be reserved by the Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Committee for specific clubs and organizations affiliated with or recognized by the Rensselaer Union.
- Dedicated spaces may be assigned by the Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Committee to an individual Union organization or a group of Union organizations. If assigned to a group of Union organizations, the list of organizations approved for posting shall be maintained by the Committee and kept on file in the Union administrative office.
- Organizations can submit requests for dedicated posting space to the Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Committee.
- Dedicated spaces are reserved for use only by the organizations they are assigned to. Organizations with dedicated spaces are still allowed to use General Posting Areas.
1. Inappropriate Content
- Any posting that is deemed inappropriate may be subject to removal.
- Some examples of unsuitable material include, but are not limited to, vulgar language, pornographic material, and libelous or false information.
- The Marketing, Advertising and Publicity Committee may rule a poster as inappropriate on a case-by-case basis, which may be appealed to the Rensselaer Union Executive Board.
2. Takedown Date
- All signs must be marked with a takedown date.
- For signs advertising events, the takedown date must be the day after the conclusion of the event.
- For all other signs, this must be no further than fifteen (15) days from the date of posting.
3. Approval Stamp
- All signs posted in General Posting Areas must be stamped at the Rensselaer Union Administration Office (Union 3702) prior to posting.
- Any sign deemed in violation of this policy or the Institute sign policy may not receive a stamp at the discretion of Union administrative staff. This decision can be appealed to the Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Committee.
4. Multiple Copies
- At any given time, no more than five (5) copies of the same sign may be placed in a single building overseen by the Rensselaer Union.
- At any given time, no more than ten (10) signs of any design for a single organization may be placed in a single building overseen by the Rensselaer Union.
- No sign shall obstruct a previously posted sign.
6. Removal & Reporting
- Posters may be removed by any community member once the takedown date has passed.
- All signs in violation of the content requirements outlined in this policy are subject to immediate removal by Union staff, Environmental & Site Services, or the Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Committee.
- If a community member suspects that a poster may be in violation of the content requirements outlined in this policy, they should email the Union Administrative staff at email@example.com or the President of the Union at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exceptions to this policy may be allowed at the discretion of the Marketing, Advertising and Publicity Committee on a case-by-case basis. Appeals to this policy can be made in writing to the Marketing, Advertising and Publicity Committee. Furthermore, the ruling may be subject to review by the Executive Board.
The Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Committee of the Executive Board shall administer the Rensselaer Union Sign Policy and the Policies Committee may establish additional procedure to assist in the enforcement of this policy. The Policies Committee may alter or amend this document at its discretion to correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and formatting with the approval of the President of the Union; however, any substantive changes require approval of the Executive Board and Student Senate.
Last revised: September 10, 2018
For any questions, please contact Marketing, Advertising, and Publicity Chairman Alex Schneiderman at email@example.com.
Passed by the Rensselaer Union Executive Board on September 12, 2018 by a vote of 15–0–0.
Confirmed and adopted by the Rensselaer Union Student Senate on September 17, 2018 by a vote of 15–0–0.